Maggie has been a litigation associate with SERPE, JONES, ANDREWS, CALLENDER & BELL, PLLC since January of 2014. Her practice is primarily in civil litigation, with a focus on medical malpractice defense. She is involved in all phases of pre-litigation and litigation, including negotiations and settlement, discovery, motion practice, and expert witness and trial preparation. In addition, Maggie represents nurses before the Texas Board of Nursing and physicians before the Texas Medical Board.
Prior to joining SERPE JONES, Maggie practiced medical malpractice on the defense side, and personal injury on the plaintiff’s side, with other highly-regarded Houston law firms. During that time, she acquired substantial knowledge regarding overall strategy and handling of cases. She has a broad range of experience, including corporate disputes, premises liability, automobile liability, birth injuries, and wrongful death and survival actions.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- General Litigation
- Texas Board of Nursing/Texas Medical Board
- Products Liability
- University of Houston Law Center, LL.M. in Health Law, 2011
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, J.D. (cum laude), 2009
- Baylor University, B.A. in Psychology (Dean’s List), 2003
- Robinson School, San Juan, P.R., 1999
- State Bar of Texas, May 2010
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Punishing Pedophiles: Criminal Commitment or Criminal Imprisonment Rather Than Prison Followed by Outpatient Civil Commitment, HEALTH LAW PERSPECTIVES, available at http://www.law.uh.edu/healthlaw/perspectives/2011/Garib _Commitment.pdf (2011).
- Dual Diagnosis Patients in Dire Need of Established Mental Health Court System, HEALTH LAW PERSPECTIVES, available at http://www.law.uh.edu/ healthlaw/perspectives/2010/garib. mental.health.court.pdf (2010)).
- Nicole Andrews, Maggie Garib, The Power of Social Media, Presented to nurses at The Woman’s Hospital of Texas, Houston, Texas (Feb. 28, 2015)
- Nicole Andrews, Maggie Garib, The Power of Social Media, Presented to physicians at The Woman’s Hospital of Texas, Houston, Texas (June 18, 2015)
- Maggie Garib, Taylor FitzGerrell, Ethics of Modern Physician Communication, 2016 Pediatric Symposium, Houston Medical Center Marriott, Houston, Texas (May 21, 2016)
- Maggie Garib, Taylor FitzGerrell, Ethics of Modern Physician Communication, Pearland Medical Center and The Woman’s Hospital of Texas, Presented to pediatric physicians, Pearland, Texas (August 11, 2016)
- Maggie Garib, Taylor FitzGerrell, Importance of Nursing Documentation, The Woman’s Hospital of Texas, Nursing Grand Rounds, Houston, Texas (October 4, 2016, October 5, 2016)
- Fully Bilingual—Spanish